Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sala, too much raining. It's no good for my business.

I was talking to an Indian lady friend of mine the other day about the rain. She told me that there has been less rain than usual this year and that the farmers are suffering. Well, hopefully today will help. It's my first experience of knee deep water while walking through parts of Kolkata and I'm crazy so I love it. It's absolutely beautiful. When it first started to get bad, a friend of mine and I were walking around and we stopped in a storefront to wait for it to slow up a bit. It was like watching waves wash ashore at the ocean every time a car drove by. People were walking around with brightly colored umbrellas, still getting soaking wet. Men had their pants rolled up and young girls were wearing skirts. Women were few and far between (not that that's unusual), but the ones who were out were wearing their brightly colored saris and holding them up above their knees. It was quite a scene. My only worry is that my room is flooded. I haven't yet gone to check andit's a definite possibility as I'm on the bottom floor. Ah well, what to do? So my empty water bottles and a few pieces of newspaper will be floating about on the floor. I'll survive.
I am now the mother of four chidren. You all know about Kajol, but one of the masis has officially declared me also Roneshma, Deepama, and Meetama. The other day, she asked if I was married. I told her no, and she told me that I need to find a husband and adopt Ronesh, Deepa and Meeta. That, of course, hurt me just a little because I would absolutely love to do exactly that. I would love to take my three babies home with me. I just don't think that's going to be possible for a long while. It is nice to know that the masis recognize how much I love these children, though. It's going to be hard to leave them.
It's going to be especially hard to leave Ronesh, I think. I love Deepa a lot, but she is a big girl and has been through this whole auntie coming, spending a lot of time with her and leaving a day or week or month later. Ronesh is new to Shishu Bhavan and hasn't had much experience with the way the volunteers come and go. He is also really still a baby. He needs attention. When you hold him for a long while and then put him down, he cries and cries and cries. He hasn't even quite gotten used to the volunteers coming only for a few hours two times a day, either. He doesn't llike when we leave and again cries and cries.
I often feel bad for coddling him so much. I wish I wasn't so compelled to pick him up and hold him against my shoulder when he cries. I wish I hadn't started lying him down on my stomach and patting his back when he was sick. It probably wasn't a good idea to get so attached to him and let him get attached to me. I think it's probably easier for the kids to not have only one volunteer work with them when they first arrive, so that they don't expect that volunteer to stick around.
But I just can't help myself. I fall in love so quickly.

Alright, I have a few more stories for you but it's time to head to Shishu and I think I will go despite the rain. Love you guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment